I’m taking a break from the kitchen today to share something really cool with you! Back in December, I was nominated for the Liebster Award, which is an online honor for new bloggers (less than 200 followers.) I received the award from Ashlee over at My Life in Snippets and now it’s my turn to pass it on! Keep reading to see which blogs I’ve nominated!
First up, here are my answers to the questions Ashlee posed to her nominees!
- What is your favorite dessert?
I find it really hard to pick a favourite! I love anything with warm, gooey chocolate – molten lava cake, brownies or chocolate chip cookies. Apple pie and apple crisp also make me really happy.
2. Most embarrassing moment, ready, and go!
I honestly can’t think of one! I do little embarrassing things every day…like spelling things wrong when I write on the whiteboard!
3. Pick the holiday that is most important to you.
Christmas Eve has always been the most special for me. We go to the candlelight service at church, and then my dad’s family gathers at my parents’ house. Church and family really get me into the Christmas spirit, and there’s still the anticipation of the big day.
4. How do you stay healthy?
I’m a bit of a germophobe! As a teacher, I get exposed to all kinds of kiddie germs, so prevention is key. I always wash my hands before eating or touching food. At school, I try not to touch my face, and use hand sanitizer if I’ve touched something germy. Getting enough sleep, not eating junk and exercising when I can all help too.
5. What is your favorite part about being a blogger?
I started a recipe blog because I love to bake! I love trying out new recipes and making tweaks to get them right. I joke that food is my love language, because it makes me happy when people enjoy my treats. I also really enjoy the writing aspect. I like putting words together to share and explain ideas. I’ve wanted to be an author since I was in grade two, so writing for even a small audience is fun! I still want to be an author and have several children’s book ideas floating around my head!
6. Tell me five random facts about you.
- I am a huge figure skating fan! I’ve been a spectator at several national and international competitions and have met a lot of skaters. My friend and I have a tradition of taking pictures of skaters with stuffed animals…luckily for us they usually find it amusing. This is Canadian ice dancers Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam at nationals last month in Halifax.
- I am from the East Coast and have lived here my whole life except for university – and I hate seafood. I’m slowly broadening my horizons; I’ll eat haddock and have recently decided that I like bacon-wrapped scallops, but I’m not a fan of anything else fishy.
- I absolutely love to read. I’ll read just about anything – novels, non-fiction, magazines, but I have a special love for children’s literature. I came home from a used book sale the other day with a whole stack of kid’s books.
- I am an obsessive list maker. I have lists in my phone, in notebooks, on sticky notes, on whiteboards. I make lists of lists to make. I am a pretty organized person in general, but lists are how I stay that way.
- I am super quiet around people I don’t know. I’m kind of introverted and kind of shy, so I don’t say very much in most social situations. I don’t actually mind public speaking, but small talk is hard. With people I am comfortable with, I am the opposite. I talk non-stop. People who’ve known me all my life find it hard to believe I can be quiet.
7. If you made a New Year’s Resolution for 2016, how’s it going? Are you keeping it? If you didn’t make a New Year’s Resolution, what’s a bad habit you would like to get rid?
I didn’t make a formal resolution, but I decided I would try to get into the habit of exercising more. I’m not doing a very good job of it yet! I’m not a gym person, and winter in Nova Scotia isn’t great for exercising outside! I do want to do some snowshoeing this winter though.
8. What is the greatest challenge you find about blogging?
I’m not very good at promoting myself! I have great intentions to share my posts on social media and link-ups, and then forget to do it. I get into blogging mode on the weekend, and school mode during the week, and they’re not necessarily compatible! I’ve just started teaching full-time again, after nearly a year of subbing (during which the blog was born!) and will have to ease back on posting a bit as I simply don’t have the time.
9. Last movie you watched? Good or bad?
The last movie I saw at the theatre was the new Star Wars movie. I really enjoyed it! I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but I’m married to one, so I’ve watched all the movies and was excited for the new one.
10. You are awarded a private dinner with five people (dead or alive) – who would you invite and why?
- Emma Watson – She’s so smart and well-spoken and uses her celebrity status to make a difference, in addition to having played one of my favourite literary characters.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder – My all-time favourite author; she’d tell wonderful stories of her childhood on the frontier.
- Tessa Virtue (Olympic Gold Medalist in Ice Dance) – I’ve been a fan of Tessa and her partner, Scott for many years. They’ve triumphed under adversity and do a lot of great work in addition to skating.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. – I think he and Emma would have a lot to talk about equality and opportunity!
- My Nanny (paternal grandmother) – Simply because I’d love to share a meal with her again.
Now for my nominees….drumroll please! (Word of advice: never ask grade sixes for a drumroll!)
Lori at Greco Design Company
Anika at Little Free Monkeys
Debbie at Life is Better by the Pool
And my questions for them:
- Why did you start your blog?
- Do you have any pets? If you do, tell us a funny story about them. If not, what pet would you like to have?
- What is the food that you hate most? As my mom says, what you can’t even eat to be polite?
- What is your favourite sports team?
- What are you hoping to accomplish in 2016?
- What Netflix/TV show are you into right now?
- What’s your best money-saving tip?
- Where are you planning to go on your next vacation?
- What is your favourite magazine?
- Share a song that has special memories for you, or brings you back to a particular time in your life.
Looking forward to reading your answers!